A spinach-based cream sauce
- 2-3 lbs. meat (cubes of chicken, lamb or beef OR paneer OR vegetables OR a combo)
- 1 lg. onion, thinly sliced
- 4T oil
- 1” ginger root, crushed
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 5 c chopped fresh spinach OR 2 (10 oz.) boxes of frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1-2 green chilies (optional)
- ½-1 c cream
- 2T chopped, fresh cilantro (optional garnish)
In a large pot, heat oil and fry onions on medium until golden-dark brown. Add crushed ginger and garlic, fry 2 min.
In a separate bowl, add ¼ c of water to the masala (spice) packet and mix until a consistent paste forms. Combine with onions in pot and fry for 2 minutes.
Stir in meat selection, being sure to coat with the oil and spices, stirring occasionally until meat is browned.
In a blender, add ½ c water and (thawed) spinach. Puree.
Add spinach puree from blender, chilies (optional) and the can of tomatoes.
Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the meat is tender.
Turn off heat and gently stir in cream.
Garnish with cilantro and serve over hot rice or with naan (flat bread).