A basic, tomato-based sauce
- 2 lbs. meat (cubes of chicken, lamb or beef OR vegetables)
- 1 lg. onion, thinly sliced
- 3T oil
- 1” ginger root, crushed
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2-3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-2 chilies (optional)
- 2T chopped, fresh cilantro (optional garnish)
In a large pot, heat oil and fry onions on medium until golden-dark brown. Add crushed ginger and garlic, fry 2 min.
In a separate bowl, add ¼ c of water to the masala (spice) packet and mix until a consistent paste forms. Combine with onions in pot and fry for 2 minutes.
Stir in meat selection, being sure to coat with the oil and spices, stirring occasionally until meat is browned.
Add in tomatoes, potatoes, chilies and 2c of water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Garnish with cilantro and serve over hot rice or with naan (flat bread).